Re: Asteroids losing voltage

From: Jon Raiford <raiford_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 15:13:52 EST

You disable the sense circuit by shorting it to +5. The idea of it is to compensate for lost voltage over the wiring harness/edge connector. Its the same reason you see AR2's catch on fire when the edge connector isn't making good contact. The +sense and +5 are connected to each other on the game board, so the AR2 measures the voltage on the +sense to see if it is +5. If its not, it raises the +5 voltage. Unfortunately, it will keep raising the +5 voltage until things start to burn out. If the voltage regulator is shot, you won't get the +5 volts under load, but it doesn't seem to go out of control on the +sense either.

Jon