Re: Lunar Lander coin mech questions

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 15:47:22 EST

If you take a coin mech apart make sure you know EXACTLY the alignment
of all adjustable parts. Cameras are good for this, take some good
pictures.

There are actually very few moving parts, mostly the cradle at the top
and its release pawl. One snap ring and the cradle comes off, same with
the pawl. No adjustments needed to either of those. Old oil can be
dissolved and cleaned out with WD-40. A VERY thin coating of 3-in-1 oil
should be applied during reassembly.

Towards the bottom of the mech are one or two adjustments (unless you
have one of those piece-of-junk red mechs), only one of which has a part
that pivots. A little oil should free it up. The positioning of these
adjustments are critical.

If you're lucky enough to have the plastic mechs they can be cleaned in
hot soapy water then rinsed clean and dried. They need no lube.

The cradle in the mech is what sets the diameter and weight of coin that
will be accepted. The adjustments at the bottom are the "bounce" and
size of the coin. The magnet (if present) is supposedly for catching
slugs and (in the USA) Canadian coins (sorry Canada). What the magnet
is USUALLY good for is causing jammed mechs.