Asteriods G05 -802 Blooming screen

From: <SVerlander_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 18:00:17 EST

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a nice Christmas. Mine went almost without
a snag. At my Christmas Eve party all my games survived except my Asteroids.
I had everything running for about an hour and I saw out the corner of my
eye an asteroid the size of the screen and the flying saucer was huge. Well I
turned it off for the rest of the night.:-(
Today I have been overhauling the power supply for my Star Wars project and
decided to give Asteroids the once over to see if I could tell what went
wrong. I opened up the back and nothing smelled burnt and everything looked
normal which was a good sign so I turned it on. The picture came up like
normal with no problem but after 10 minuets the picture started slowly
growing in size to a point and stopped but I never lost the picture. I
figured their was something getting hot and changing value so I used
component cooler on every part on both the hi voltage cage and the deflection
board but their was no change in the picture. The hi voltage rectifier is a
new SK7330 but I do have another new one I could try. Here's a little
background on this monitor. I completely rebuilt the original deflection
board and hi voltage cage with a cap kit and new deflection transistors. The
monitor worked 100% and was burned in by leaving it on all day for several
days wile I was there so I know it was fine. I had the parts to build another
G05 and when I found a Star Wars project, the guy wanted to trade it for a
working G05 monitor and some cash. Well, I got the spare monitor working but
did not have time to burn it in and test it like I would like so I swapped my
tested Hi voltage cage and deflection board into the spare chassis for the
trade so I knew he would not have a problem with it. OK now back to the parts
I put back into my chassis which is the one that started blooming. The
deflection board is out of a WG 19V2000 and the Hi voltage cage was from a
G05-802 and was missing the HV Rectifier which I had installed a new SK7330.
They both worked in my chassis but I had only burned it in for a couple of
hours but it seemed fine so I moved it into the game room for the Christmas
party and that's when the blooming problem started. I have not capped the
deflection board or the HV cage yet as the picture looked great. I have
another kit for a G05 but did not know if it was the same as the 19V2000 as I
believe the kits are a little different. Before I go any farther I thought I
would get the opinions of everyone here on the Vector List. As always thanks
for any help in advance. It would be nice to figure this out before I get to
involved in my Star Wars project. I may need some help with that one two :-)
Thanks,
Sam