Re: VECTOR:Update- Asteriods G05 -802 Died again ;-(

From: <SVerlander_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 20:27:48 EST

Got another update on my Asteroids G05 monitor. After my last post about
replacing the Hi Voltage rectifier and fixing the blooming screen and letting
it run for 8 hours everything seemed fine so I left it on for another 2 hours
and left it unattended. When I went back to check on it the monitor was dead
and the player 1 and 2 buttons were flashing. I turned it off and looked it
over and nothing looked burnt but the deflection board had blown F 101 and F
700. It was late so I did not get back to it until today as yesterday was
spent getting the Star Wars to play blind which it now does :-) The first
thing I did with the Asteroids was to unplug the monitor and see if the game
would play blind and it did. The next thing I did was to unplug the Hi
Voltage unit and replace the blown fuses and turn it back on and see what
happens. The fuses blew again so I new the problem was not the hi voltage
unit but It still could have been the cause. Next I unplugged all the
connectors from the deflection board except the power in and replaced the
fuses again. This time no fuses blew and I think the spot killer led was on.
Next time I plugged P700 which goes to one set of deflection transistors and
when I turned power on it blew the fuses again. I removed the deflection
transistors one by one and tested them and found 2 were dead shorted and 2
were open, all 4 were toast. These were new transistors and had very few
hours on them. What could have caused them to go bad? I replaced all 4 and
checked everything on the deflection board and it checked out good so I put
it back in and hooked everything back up except the Hi voltage unit. I fired
it up and could here deflection chatter from the yoke and the led was off.
Next I plugged the Hi voltage unit back in and installed the Hi voltage
rectifier and turned it back on. The monitor came back to life and appears to
work fine again. I am puzzled as to what happened. Did the transistors just
get to hot? I had the back door off and it ran for 8 hours before it fried.
Would it help to add a fan to aid in keeping it cooler. For now it's working
fine and I want to keep it that way. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions
please let me hear them. Thanks for reading, now back to the Star Wars
monitor :-)
Sam