Re: Pokey failure??

From: Scott Brasington <arcade_at_brasington.org>
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 23:08:38 EST

They seem to generally be used for the random number generator,
sounds (audio) and sometimes they connect a DIP to them and use
them for game configuration input. The chip itself has a bunch
of logic for reading game paddle inputs (POts) and scanning
keyboard matrixes (KEY), hence the POKEY. It also contains logic
for serial input and output. I guess they used this chip in
their home game console games or something.

There is not much the CPU can do to perform any automatic test
on them except the random number generator test, this is because
the registers on the chip have different functions for read
versus write, so they are unable to run a typical register
test against them (one that writes values and then reads them
back to see if they match). I think it was millipede that I
saw that did the random number selftest and displayed a "P0"
or "P1" to indicate the failed pokey.