'Sparking' sound from back of monitor

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 18:17:38 EST

Have just noticed that when my G05-801 monitor (game is Asteroids) gets
fairly warm there is a 'sparking' sound that is only audible at the back of
the monitor. There are roughly 2 spark sounds per second at it's 'peak',
but when they eventually start they start slowly (1 or less a second) and
over the course of a minute or so slowly increase in speed to 2 per second.
The machine HAS been on for a few hours today - as I only got the monitor
working recently today is the longest period of time that it has spent
switched on since I got the cabinet about a month ago. I've never noticed
the sound before, possibly because it's rarely been on longer than a few
minutes.

It apparently came from an Asteroids Deluxe machine.

I can't seem to exactly isolate *where* it's coming from, but it *may* be
slightly louder near the area of the EHV cage. I would't swear to it though!

Is this maybe a problem with something on the EHV board, the cable from the
EHV to the back of the tube, or maybe the tube itself?

There are no *visible* sparks anywhere, not in the neck, EHV, etc (although
it's hard to see inside the EHV cage to be sure it's not there).

Is it okay to use the monitor while it's making this noise? Is any damage
being caused?

I was hoping to re-cap the EHV tomorrow - should I avoid doing that now, or
should I do it in the hope it cures the problem (maybe a bad electrolytic
cap is causing it?).

Thanks,
Phil