Re: TIS98 and TPS98 transistor questions

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 07:04:12 EST

At 04:59 21/01/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Goody. Once you get to PN2222A you can just go to Radio Shack and grab
>one of those handy 10 packs!

All these different numbers and staring at data sheets is doing my head in. :)

On looking up data sheets for all these replacements (be they NTE123AP,
PN2222A, etc) and comparing to a data sheet for the TIS98, none of them
match up exactly in what I thought were the 'important' areas such as Vcbo,
Vceo, Ptot and IC. I thought any replacement should at least equal the max
rating of the transistor being replaced, yet some replacements seem to fall
short in certain areas. See here for a comparison of the TIS98 and the
2SC2240 I'm currently using in the G05-801's deflection board:

  TIS98 2SC2240

Vcbo 80v 120v
Vceo 60v 120v
Ic(max) 200ma 100ma
Ptot 360mw 300mw
hFE 300 200~400

Heck, my 2SC2240 *exceeds* the Vcbo and Vceo of the TIS98 by quite a
margin, yet falls short on IC and Ptot. Yet it works ..........

But I guess what I'm driving at is whether it's differences mean that other
components might be getting put under more pressure, whether they will last
as long as should should and whether maybe, just maybe, it and it's buddies
are responsible for my slightly jagged diagonal lines, etc. Probably not,
but my ignorance precludes me from being 100% certain.

Cheers,
Phil