Re: TIS98 and TPS98 transistor questions

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 16:29:46 EST

Alrighty, then, let's look at the schematics for your monitor. Q701 &
Q702 is a differential amp powered by Q703, a constant current supply.
Q703 is being run at about 3.6 mA (.65 volts through 180 ohms). Q701
and Q702 normally share this current equally, so about 1.8 mA average
through each of those.

Maximum voltage drop across Q703 (assuming +35 and -35 power supplies)
would be 20.74 volts (35 - .65 through R704 - .65 volt drop at Q701/Q702
emitters - 12.96 volts drop across R740). Power dissipated in Q703 is
about 75 mW. So Q703 needs to be able to handle 20.74 volts, 3.6 mA,
and .075 Watt. Good design practice would be to have Q703 handle the
ENTIRE power supply of 70 volts (but for that much voltage to be present
there would have to be multiple failures happening at the same time ---
unlikely to happen, 35 volts is sufficient but would also represent
failures happening elsewhere), at least double its operating current -
7.2 mA, and at least double its operating power - .15 watt. So for our
purposes, anything that can handle the voltage rating will do. Even if
it can't handle the voltage R740 will protect it from destruction.

Now for Q701 and Q702. Current is 1.8 mA average, 3.6 mA peak. Voltage
peaks out at 35.65, averages 33.85 (1.8 volts dropped through collector
resistor). Average power is 60 mW. Once again, current and power are
insignificant and the main spec here is voltage.

Speed of Q703 doesn't matter, but you want something fairly fast in the
Q701 and Q702 positions.

What does it all mean? Use a fairly fast (over 1 MHz) NPN transistor
with good gain in the 1-5 mA range and a voltage rating of at least 40
volts (the more the merrier). Whatever you use USE THE SAME THING FOR
BOTH Q701 AND Q702. Why? You want these two as close to matched as you
can get. Most important matching is emitter to base voltage. If these
aren't the same you get something called "offset voltage" which will
cause centering to be off. With no offset voltage, zero voltage from
the game board will give you zero current through the yoke (and that's a
good thing!).