Copying Asteroids ROM 035127

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 18:16:49 EST

I'm puzzled. As I seem to have a somewhat 'unusual' ROM set in my rev 02
Asteroids board (only two of the checksums match up with the revision 1
software, the other two checksums don't match up with rev 1 OR 2!), I
thought I'd make copies of them just in case the originals ever die on me
(rev 2 software as downloaded from the 'net works, but one object always
has a long diagonal line emanating from it).

The three main program ROMs (two are EPROMs, one a ROM) copy just fine and
the copies work okay. However, the final ROM (035127 at location N/P3)
copies okay but the copy won't work. Or rather, with the copy plugged into
the board the game just goes into a loop with a constant beeping, flashing
of the player one/two LEDs and flashing diagonal line on the screen. Pop
the original ROM back in and all is well again.

I've tried copying this twice - both times the copies verify and checksum
okay against the original.

I'm copying it as a 2716 which is the way to do it according to various
details I've found on the 'net.

The ROM in question has printed on it:

8008E
C28B67
035127-02-03

Am I also correct in stating that this is the Vector ROM?

Where am I going wrong? Maybe my (rather old) programmer isn't handling it
correctly, or do I have to read it in as a different type?

Thanks,
Phil