Input voltage on WG X-Y monitors?

From: Doug Jefferys <dougj_at_hwcn.org>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 16:53:49 EST

I'm currently browsing through www.arcademonitors.com (great site,
by the way) and it reminded me of a couple of questions about powering
vector displays.

I have an Asteroids cocktail, running a 15" G05-802 or -805 at 60VAC, off
one winding of the transformer. I have succesfully run a 19" WG-V2000 off
this transformer, and out of this cabinet - thus, I know the transformer
can power it at 60VAC off one winding. (Even though the wiring diagram
for the upright Asteroids show it being powered through both windings.
Interesting...)

My current project is an Asteroids Deluxe, and I'm planning on powering it
with a Lunar Lander power supply. This power supply outputs both 80VAC
and 65VAC. I've hacked up an adaptor to the AD harness to ignore the
80VAC and run the monitor at 65VAC, so no worries there.

In fact, I know this'll work, as it's a W-G V2000, which is also specced
for 65VAC, but it made me wonder if anyone had ever tried running a G05
(spec'ed at 60VAC) at 65VAC.

Q1: Way back in the olden days, I think I speculated that the reason the
    original Lunar Lander and G05-801 ran at 80VAC was to get a higher
    slew rate. Was I right or was I full of it?

Q2: To bring this discussion back into the realm of the useful, I'd
    imagine 50VAC power supplies are pretty rare these days, unless you
    want to use a Variac. Has anyone tried running a W-G K6100 (designed
    for 50VAC) at 60VAC? Or (not that I'd recommend it) a 60/65-volt G05
    or V2000 in a Lunar Lander cabinet at (possibly) 80VAC?

    If you haven't tried it, it probably shouldn't be tried. But if you
    have tried it, did it work?

Q3: Has anyone brought up an X-Y monitor on a Variac? What are the
    symptoms of undervoltage on the power supply?

    I remember a G05-801 that bloomed, leading me to suspect the HV unit
    or diode. I got the same symptoms with another HV unit, however.
    It's possible that both HV units had bad diodes, but I just remembered
    that when I tested it, I was using a 60VAC supply, not the 80VAC that
    the "old-style, three boards in the chassis" G05-801 wants.

    Could that (low supply voltage) have been my problem all along?

Later,
Doug.

--
 dougj   |