RE: 6100 LV issues

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 12:54:43 EST

Agreed..., going by the logic of keeping things "original" then if the
manufacturer recommended any modifications, or if upgrades (factory or
otherwise) were performed after the item was produced, do we then reverse
the unit back to the condition it came from the factory? Hmmmm. I don't
think so!

We have been recommending a minor wiring upgrade for a brand of pinball
that gave nothing but trouble and with the simple jumper wire 90% of the
problems go away...Same with SEGA Vector games, fixing the ground
connection problems will protect the GO-8 monitor, as will that same ground
upgrade cover the Atari Vector monitor failures in many cases.

The problem is if the common (ground) connection deteriorates between the
power supply, game board and monitor you can get different ground reference
voltages that will offset the bias on the output transistors, causing them
to heat up and burn out. Make VERY sure that the common leads are solidly
connected to avoid this problem.

On Atari games make certain the green common wires are bolted to the
monitor, board and power supply common tie points, and the nuts are TIGHT!

Sega games require a separate ground wire from the power supply (solder it
on to the common trace right at the main filter caps), and run it to the
monitor and logic board and either bolt or solder it to these.

Factory equipment is NEVER perfect, there are many instances of technicians
catching design errors and it is up to us to incorporate them in or risk
the peril of the game dying...

John :-#)#