Re: Re: 6100 Bad HV?

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 09:02:32 EST

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, LOUIS SRIANOMAI wrote:

> When I power on, I do get crackly, kinda static on the front of the screen.
>
> Wouldn't a bad flyback cause the same symptoms, no neck glow? The fly or hv
> xformer doesn't look cracked, oozing, stinky or anything like that.

No. If you have static, chances are you have HV. Actually, the test I use
is to put the back of my hand against the screen, and see if the hair on the
back of my hand stands up. (I'm very Itallian so this works for me, can't
say it will work for everyone. :-)

Of course, a high voltage proble is your best test. I bought an old Hathkit
meter/probe on ebay for about $20, and it's one of the best tools you can
have. That and a scope. Hmm - there are two meters just like mine up now,
both under $20:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1332269328
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2003063893

There are a bunch of probes listed though -- search both HV probe and high
voltage probe.

> I checked P900 1,8 I get 7.5 V on each and when I check P900 5 I get 8 volts.
> I think I'm supposed to get 28 on 1,8 and 180 on 5. Maybe I'm not using my
> meter right but I have a gut feeling that I'm not getting heater voltage.

That should be an easy test -- check voltage on the heater pins !
:-)

If you look at the schematic in the WG manual, they actually give nodal
(am I spelling that right - node-al ) voltages for various points in the
circuit. That can help narrow down where the problem is. ON one of my
board, the little transformer on the HV board needed to be resoldered down.

-Chris