Re: Cinematronics monitor help

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 07:35:09 EST

> It sounds like you are only getting chatter in one channel, and that the
other
> channel is pegging the yoke to one side, causing the circuit breaker to
blow.

Is it possible to run the monitor with just ONE yoke winding connected (just
x or just y)? That way I could narrow down which circuit is failing.

> Check the power transistors, using the standard diode setting on a VOM,
and see
> if any are shorted.

Hmm...I replaced the transistors and they still test fine, unless one is
failing under load. Maybe one of the DACs are bad...

> >BTW, the Cine monitor doc on spies says to unplug the harnesses to the
heat
> >sinks and leave the yoke plugged in to get "a smaller picture". I tried
> >this once before I got this far and it burned up a bunch of resistors.
>
> That is a really bad thing to do. Unplugging the heatsinks causes the full
load
> of the yoke to be handled by a couple of small pre-driver transistors
through a
> couple of 47ohm resistors (which is probably what you smoked before). Who
ever
> recommended this must have inhaled too much of that resistor smoke.
>
> Now if there were some test software that generated a very small picture
in the
> middle of the screen, small enough as to not overload the small pre-driver
> transistors and resistors, this could possibly be a valid test.
>
> I'd have to look into the pre-driver current loads, to verify that a box
small
> enough to keep from overloading the pre-drivers, and yet large enough to
be
> useful, could be drawn.
>
> If anybody is interested in such a program, I'm sure I could have it
written by
> the end of the week. (Given my current schedule.)

I'm for anything that helps debug these monitors.

--
Mark Jenison