RE: 25" Amplifone (Star Wars cockpit) repair help

From: Bret Pehrson <bret_at_infowest.com>
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 11:09:07 EST

Start w/ the easy stuff:

 - Replace all the zero-ohm jumpers (on both the deflection and HV
board) w/ jumper wire.

 - Check all the solder joints on both boards for cold/broken joints --
resolder as necessary.

 - Check all the soldered connector wires going to the HV board.
Resolder as necessary.

 - Check the MC1 for visible damage.

 - If not already installed, install the HV two resistor upgrade.

 - If not already installed, install the HV 4 diode upgrade.

 - Disconnect the BU406D per the faq so that you won't be generating HV.

 - Test the input and output voltages at the regulators. Inputs should
be around +/- 30v (up to +/- 33 is ok), outputs should be +/- 24. If
not, replace the defective regulator.
http://www.classicade.com/amplifonetestpoints.jpg

 - I'd replace the BU406D w/ a new part, just to be safe.

 - Visually inspect the other transistor cases on the HV board for
bursting or apparent damage -- replace as necessary.

At this point, you should be to the point that you can swap in the new
HVT w/o too much worry.