Asteroids problem

From: Steve Coule <steve_at_coule.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 12:17:59 EST

Another newbie here, please be gentle!

I have a problem with my asteroids upright cabinet. It works pretty much ok
but it has an odd symptom.

Imagine the ship sitting in the middle of the display pointing straight up.
When a single shot is fired the ship stays pretty much central but when the
shot wraps from the top to the bottom of the screen, the ship is pulled
towards the bottom by about 5mm. When the shot disappears the ship moves
back to it's normal position!

It's not the game board (tried loads and they work fine in my cocktail) and
I have swapped out the deflection, PSU and HV units (G05-801) for other
boards without any discernable improvement. I'm not sure how good the spares
boards were but the problem appeared to be pretty much the same.

I'm also getting varied brightness during gameplay.

Is this likely to be a bad connection or high resistance wire somewhere in
the loom?

Anything obvious that I'm missing? Any ideas where to look apart from
buzzing through the whole loom?

Thanks,

Steve