Re: 25" Amplifone (Star Wars cockpit) repair help

From: Matt Rossiter <rossiter_at_ni.net>
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 12:06:29 EST

> I was all set to do this tomorrow night when I found the vector list and
> read a few posts I could find in the archive on the Amplifone. I started to
> get really worried when I saw a few posts mentioning brand new Wintron HV
> units that died when adjusting focus and brightness. Now I'm worried. What
> if anything am I missing? I don't want to take any chances blowing up my
> new HV unit. It would just about crush me to have that happen after finally
> getting all worked up for this job. Should I just replace every single
> component I listed above reguardless if those parts test good or bad?

I wouldn't worry about this. I was the one who posted that my Wintron had died.
At one time my high voltage went out, and for some reason when I did a ring test
using my LOPT tester I was getting lots of reds and yellows - meaning not good.
My warranty was almost up and I didn't want to miss the chance of not being able
to get it replaced. So I called Wintron and they asked me to send it in for
testing. They found that the transformer wasn't bad after all - in fact they did
some pretty rough tests on it. Maybe someone can explain what you should expect
to see when you're ring testing a Wintron. ??

I should have posted a follow up that thread I guess. These babies are pretty
tough. I can't remember what the problem really was - because it just started
working again. I would recommend that you put new 2n304's and a new A06
transistor on you HV unit. When they go out - it's pretty quiet and the screen
simply goes out. Anyway - I have two machines with amplifones in them and they
work pretty good.

Hope that relieves your worries.

Matt