25" Amplifone Monitor (voltage regulators)

From: Gregory S . Erway <gerway_at_redcom.com>
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 11:26:26 EST

This is sort of a follow up to my previous thread in the sense that I
checked some stuff last night and replaced a few parts and now have
a few questions.

Voltage Reg 7924cv inserted in VR2 is used to regulate -24v. This was
missing from my HV board all together when I got it. There was nothing
in that component space. So I assumed that I needed to get TO-220
hardware to mount the reg when I put it in. I notice that pin 1 of the
reg goes to a trace that goes to ground (this is verified on the schematic).
I also noted that pin 2 of the 7924cv and the mounting tab have continuity.
I did not replace the 7824cv last night but am pretty sure that pin 2 of
that regulator (or any pin of the 7824cv) can have continuity with the
mounting tab since both regulators are mounted to the same metal heat
sink bar. Can anyone verify this for me? Or did I do a major screw up and
use a metal screw to mount VR2 when it should have been plastic or
something? The manual is absolutly no help in trying to figure out what
the mounting method would be. I know that VR2 is suppose to use an mica
insulator (which I did) and VR1 (7824cv) is not suppose to use a mica
insulator.

I was also wondering if heat sink compound should be used on VR1 (7824cv)
even though there is no insulator. My assumption is yes.

Thanks in advance for any help provided. And if I screwed up here any
hints as to what components I fried (probably in the supply of the
voltage to the regulator from the deflection board) and should check
would also be appreciated.

Greg