Re: Star Wars control panel overlay

From: Gregory S . Erway <gerway_at_redcom.com>
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 09:28:01 EST

http://www.atomicconcepts.com/starwars/ is the official first link that
goes to Daves page for restoration of Star Wars. Dave has the UR version
of the cp overlay NOS and is willing to scan it to make reproductions.
Not sure if given the UR NOS overlay if a cockpit version could be
created from the same scan with some computer modification.

Here is a copy of the e-mail I received from Dave yesterday indicating
what the problem is with production. Sounds like if any of us can come
up with a solution to the problem we could still get some of these created.

Greg

Hey Greg,

Well as for the CPO overlay, I got to a point where I could not find a
source for a material that would have the texture and thickness of the
original CPO. In the tests with the stuff I did find, it was all too thick,
and would not stay attached to the panel or else it would crack. I got to
that point and then my wife had a baby, so I have not pursued it any
further. I posted a long time ago asking if anyone knew of a material that
we could use to get these made. I have a guy that is willing to do the
printing on a per order basis, but things never really got rolling.

I did however buy a few of the NOS CPO Overlays and each one was different
looking, but I'm not sure if they were a different size. I never actually
checked for that because I assumed that they were that same on both
machines. It does not seem like they would go through the trouble to have 2
different versions, the way Atari reused everything they did.

If I could find the material, I would get the ball rolling again. I have an
awesome NOS overlay with vibrant colors that I would use to dupe them.

As for the gear, I remember somebody posting a long time ago about a place
that had them or could make them but I just don't remember who. If I was
desparate I might try making one out of bondo or maybe like a surfboard
resin with fiberglass. Sounds weird but it might work if you made a cast of
your half a gear.

thanks,
dave