Re: RE: Blinking/fading Asteroids ......... monitor problem

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 09:46:15 EST

>In a somewhat selfish sense, your horizontal only recoil is great
>news! Sorry, but it will bug you and it will drive you crazy from now on
>but at least there are two of us trying to sort it out now :-)

Well, yes, true enough. Just trying to be positive are you? ;)

>1) The fading in and out is *probably* not directly related to the recoil
>effect

Agreed. From closer inspection my fading problem might be heat related,
must get out the can of freezer spray, as it's not there all the time. When
it's NOT happening I still have the 'recoil' problem (which is more of a
forwards recoil than a backwards one - kind of reverse recoil :)

>but could be PSU / HV related, or maybe even Z drive on the deflection
>board. I do get exactly the same problem .. sometimes the last small
>asteroid will disappear completely until I fire a shot or two.

Well, mine don't disappear, they just fade a little (the fading is sudden,
not gradual) then they'll 'blink' back to the correct brightness again.

If it was the Z drive, surely everything else on the screen would also be
affected at the same time?

>2) The recoil effect is probably not a PSU issue since this would affect
>both X & Y axis and yours doesn't. I guess this points towards the
>deflection board and connections to and from it.

Yup, agreed.

>3) You are in a better position to resolve the recoil issue since you have
>a good Y axis it should be easier to compare the X & Y circuits, let me
>know how you fix it! ;^)

Heh. Yeah, I'll have a prod about. I do though expect to get some G05
monitor parts from a mate in the UK in a week or so, so I may just wait
until then. We'll see.

>I've got a spare HV unit to test to see if this resolves the fading in/out
>issue. I tried it briefly and it did not resolve the recoil issue. I'll
>also check for clarity of the diagonal lines in test mode - can't say I've
>noticed much difference.

Can't imagine it's the HV, as I would *assume* that you'd also notice the
problem on any other on-screen graphics. Nope, I'm still going with the
general flow that it's the deflection board and maybe it's connections.

Phil