Re: Blinking/fading Asteroids ......... monitor problem

From: Marc Alexander <marcwolf123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 06:39:23 EST

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Steve Coule" <steve@coule.freeserve.co.uk>
> I think you're right in that the draw order (and even draw quantity) is
> quite significant, whether it's caps, high voltage fluctuation or
> transistors is the tricky bit!

Yes I wish you luck! It just got me thinking about what may cause that kind
of strange behaviour so I thought I'd have a go...

Caps would be the first suspect, it'd be interesting to know if other
transient objects on the outer edges of the screen cause ship wobble, or wobble
of other obects nearer the centre.
If there's another monitor that only does it in one axis that does pretty much
rule out the common power supply, not including where it splits out to X and Y.

> The problem exists if the shot is fired in any direction - I just used the
> up direction as an example. Since the problem exists equally in the X & Y
> axis I'm tending to think it's some kind of PSU issue rather than a
> deflection transisitor problem unless both pairs have failed in the same
> way.

Oh, ok.

> After changing deflection transistors on otherwise working boards, is any
> iprovement in linearity noticed?

I've not tried that myself, I've only ever replaced dead ones.

> Bob roberts for cap and transistor kits or are there cheaper / better
> sources?

I'm in Australia, sorry :) Got my own parts seperately, got sick of needing electros and
bought a few of every one available at a wholesaler.

Cheers,

Marc