Asteroid bug on 10th score

From: Scott Brasington <arcade_at_brasington.org>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 14:43:43 EST

Anybody ever notice the asteroids (rev2) bug whereby the last
initial of the 10th score gets lost?

Actually they (wrongly) clear the last letter of the 10th score
every time you start a game.

By pure luck when I made the changes for the extended scoring
feature on my HS kit this bug got eliminated (because I relocated
the HS tables). So it appears I don't have this bug.

Just curious if anybody else has seen this before? I searched
on google and did not easily locate any documenation about it.

How I found it was Michael Kelley sent me a copy of a REV2 modified
version of asteroids that is more difficult than the standard one.
According to Michael it prevents "lurking" and the saucers are
more accurate in firing at you. Sounds much more challenging.
In evaluating the differences in the codesets, I found an unrelated
fragment of code that appears to fix the problem of the erasing
the 10 score last letter.

Anyways I'm currently (when time permits) looking at folding these
code changes into the HS kit and having a mechanism to turn on
this more difficult version. Details not yet ironed out yet,
probably a configuration sequence entered in test mode will
toggle the game behavior.

Has anybody else (besides Michael) run this more difficult version
of asteroids? Opinions? Anybody know if this rev has a name
or number it goes by?

-Scott