Re: Asteroid bug on 10th score

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 18:28:10 EST

On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:43:43 -0500, you wrote:

>Has anybody else (besides Michael) run this more difficult version
>of asteroids?

        Ohh, I'm sure _lots_ of people have... :) Atari issued this revision
not long after irate arcade operators discovered that people were racking
up Brobdignagian scores (and tying up their expensive machines for hours at
a time on a single quarter) because of the "lurking" and saucer-hunting
techniques - so not only did all subsequent Asteroids machines come with
this revision from the factory, but IIRC Atari also offered it as an
"upgrade kit" to the operators.

        ...and lo, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth the next time
we walked into the arcade and discovered our old tricks didn't work
anymore. :)