Re: Asteroid bug on 10th score

From: Doug Jefferys <dougj_at_hwcn.org>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 19:29:30 EST

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 solarfox@texas.net wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:43:43 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >Has anybody else (besides Michael) run this more difficult version
> >of asteroids?
>
> Ohh, I'm sure _lots_ of people have... :) Atari issued this
> revision not long after irate arcade operators discovered that people
> were racking up Brobdignagian scores (and tying up their expensive
> machines for hours at a time on a single quarter) because of the
> "lurking" and saucer-hunting techniques - so not only did all
> subsequent Asteroids machines come with this revision from the
> factory, but IIRC Atari also offered it as an "upgrade kit" to the
> operators.
>
> ...and lo, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth the next
> time we walked into the arcade and discovered our old tricks didn't
> work anymore. :)

So what were the tricks, and was there any trick (or set of tricks)
that would work for all ROM revisions?

I remember hearing of three:

1) A bug that allowed you to lurk in the score digits and not
   get shot. (Frequently reported in the press as "He knew where
   the saucer would appear and shot it before it could shoot him,
   sometimes firing around the other side of the screen, because
   the saucer's bullets couldn't wrap around.")

2) Flying up the middle of the screen, turning, and firing on saucers
   as they appeared. (Standard hunting)

3) A ROM revision that "fixed" #2, by having the saucer home in on you
   while you thrust. (So you laid off the thrust button as soon as
   the saucer appeared...)

Plus:

4) The "hardware speedup" mod done on the board.

Interestingly, I find the "easy" revision of Asteroids Deluxe to be
slightly easier to play than Asteroids. The rocks split in a more
predictable fashion, and the small saucer isn't *that* bad a threat,
since you can sit still and fire at it with your thumb covering the
Shield button, and it's not that good a shot. (The "hard" revision of
Deluxe, on the other hand... nope, that small saucer is *deadly* :)

The quicker rotation rate and better thrust response in Deluxe also
makes it easier to spin around and dodge incoming rocks. (Point away
from a rock, tap thrust, do a U-turn, and blast the rock while drifting
backwards.)

(Obviously, I still need to play more Asteroids. Always loved the
idea of making a single quarter last for hours :-)

Later,
Doug.