Re: Re: Bulk buy on Wintron flybacks

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 20:05:34 EDT

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:35:24 -0700, John Robertson <pinball@telus.net> wrote:

>This is getting ridiculous! $200US for a transformer? I'm going to check
>with a fellow I know that runs a monitor repair business and see if he has
>any suggestions for a replacement flyback that could be used to replace the
>Wintron. I'm thinking of a Xformer from a medium or hi-res 19" monitor and
>wire it up to replace the Wintron. Much like my Raster-Hack, I think this
>might be far more cost effective. Someone could make an adapter PCB and it
>could almost then just plug in...

The Amplifone runs in some sort of ferroresonant mode, and must be tuned to
match the MC1. I think this is why there are so many false starts at getting
this manufactured (or looking for a substitute).

The best fix would be to find a replacement for the WG HV transformer (its
different from a standard raster flyback HV in that it runs with a ~48v primary,
and doesn't need the kickback of the yoke to reach 19.5kv).

With a replacement WG HV and a focus assembly the rest of the circuit is
standard design and can be updated using newer parts.

The results would be a drop in HV cage replacement for any X/Y monitor. (And
then all we'd need is a yoke wound and...)

Cost? Probably around $200 (depending upon the price of the HV transformer and
focus units, and case).

The third solution would be to find a standard raster flyback Xfmr that has the
built in Focus assembly, and design new electronics around it. The problem
would be that it would still be about $200, but would now require a separate
isolation transformer. (Standard HV flybacks require 110v on their primaries.)
When using a WG HV, the monitor's transformer supplies the isolation from the
power main.

It looks like Sega used a standard HV, but Sega monitors ran from 120VCT
transformers, so had the primary voltage available to them.

I you can't tell I looked into all this at one time, it didn't seem very cost
effective, unless you could really go into production (>1000 units).

-Zonn