Re: The magic HV unit

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 14:37:01 EDT

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:27:11 -0500, "TomWiz" <twisnion@enteract.com> wrote:

>I don't know if this make the list last night, but
>
>http://www.powerlabs.org/flybackdriver.htm
>
>I've also seen a kit, and I can't find the info right now
>(Plus I've got a meeting to run to, darn work)
>
>But the circut is quite simple to use any flyback with some
>simple
>mods to generate some HV, by leaving the diode and focus assy on
>the
>flyback, I think this could work.
>
>Infact the flyback on at 7200 series uses a hand wound secondary
>like
>this one as well
>
>Got to run...
>TomW

This is the circuit used by the original Vectorbeam monitors. Followed by a
voltage tripler.

It wasn't very reliable using the Vectorbeam setup (but I'm sure that can be
fixed). It also suffered from HV regulation issues. The screens using these
old power supplies bloom noticeably when there are a lot of vectors drawn. The
monitors using the gold and black box HV units don't do this.

But then again that's just a matter of regulating the input voltage.

The main idea behind the article is valid though. They run the primary off
lower voltages by winding their own primary.

By winding a new primary, and a new secondary that can be used to regulate the
HV, this should work. It would be a bit labor intensive, but could be offered in
kit form.

-Zonn

BTW: I have a friend that used a very similar circuit (maybe even this one, he
got it from the net) to play with old TV flybacks, it worked pretty well!
Though, having always to push things to their limits, he ended up frying his
flybacks.