Question about cinematronics monitor - neon bulbs

From: Matt Rossiter <rossiter_at_ni.net>
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 17:38:47 EDT

I recently repaired another cinematronics monitor and it has been
working fine for a while. Well, as usual, a friend of mine picked it up
and installed it in a Star Castle. For awhile it looked good, but then
he said the picture started going dim after a while. When he turned up
the brightness, the neon bulbs started to light up. Of course, I told
him to shut off the monitor, check for anything unusual like metal
touching in the wrong place or something. He said that the anode clip
was kinda loose but that was about it.

I know they are used for bleeding off excess current in the event of
voltage spikes, but I'm not exactly sure what to tell him to check. Can
someone help me understand this problem a little better?

Matt