Re: The magic HV unit

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 17:51:55 EDT

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:22:38 -0500, tom mcclintock <tomm@mgcap.com> wrote:

>I looked into that a couple of years ago. Seems all the companies that
>can make deflection yokes cheaply are in Asia (like you didn't know
>that), and the responses I got back were positive, but the estimated
>quantities were not high enough for them to even think about doing.
>
>James Nelson found a place that *claimed* they could make new yokes for
>$50 each, but I don't think anything was taken farther than that.
>
>Your good buddies at Wintron *were* interested in making some though,
>but I never got an idea of price. Here is the response I got back:

Well, speaking of Wintron, I just went out to their web-site and found this:

"Model #2560-51 10 to 25KV" at the bottom of the page at:

   http://www.wintrontech.com/products/comhvps.html

Does anybody know how much this costs? It looks like it would replace the HV
section of any X/Y monitor?

It wouldn't happen to be less than $200, would it? If so, the HV section
rebuild is solved! (I'd be willing to buy one of these and retrofit it to a
monitor and document the whole process.)

Ok, now onto the Yoke...

>----------------
>We have to date, done very little on design of deflection yokes for
>color in-line gun CRT's. This quantity level may be an opportunity of
>interest to Wintron Tech., since we would not have off shore
>competition. We would need more information about the specific CRT, H &
>V scan frequencies and performance (spot growth, geometry, pincushion
>correction, dynamic focus) requirements.
>
>If existing monochrome winding tools (arbors) and yoke hardware (cores,
>terminal boards, and plastic insulators) could be used or modified to
>meet these requirements, initial tooling may be minimized.
>We would need a working monitor to develop and test prototype yokes.
>----------------------

I would suggest starting with a very available 25" med res tube.

I don't know much about the other spec's except it sounds like they are talking
about a raster yoke (there are no horizontal/vertical frequencies in an X/Y
monitor). I really don't know anything about tube geometries, but shouldn't
this all be available from the manufacturer?

We should have inductances similar to those of the Sega G08 or the K6401. We
might as well make this a high speed monitor!

(The G08 fires were not because of its yoke, it was bad driver design, which is
something that *is* under our control. Building a better yoke driver is the
easiest part of designing a new X/Y monitor.)

-Zonn