Re: Re: Bulk buy on Wintron flybacks

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 05:05:23 EDT

Zonn wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:04:01 -0500, Rodger Boots <rlboots@cedar-rapids.net>
> wrote:
> >Voltages above 16,000 generate X-rays, color CRTs have leaded glass to
> >control that.
> >
> >The power supplies being replaced seem to be mostly 19.5 KV. If they
> >make it to 25 KV X-rays won't be the only problem!
>
> I read the 25kv level at a number of places, the most recent being:
>
> <http://www.jmargolin.com/xy/xymon.htm#High Voltage Power>
>
> Maybe the law reads "With a leaded glass CRT the maximum voltage allowed is
> 25kv", who knows, but that does seem to be the magic number the CRT HV supplies
> use to shut themselves down.
>
> The gold box supply from Keltron used in the Cine monitors is rated at 16kv, so,
> do B&W monitors have leaded glass?
>
> -Zonn

If I remember, the warnings on B&W tubes were that X-ray production
began at 16 KV. Seems the maximum voltage spec for the 19VARP4 was 16
KV.

I think weird tubes like the 5" CRT that was used in some B&W projectors
ran at 25 KV. Because of the voltage, and possibly of the X-rays, you
were warned not to operate the projector with the covers removed.

Interesting that he should say that TV sets are limited to 25 KV
maximum. He might have written that when maximum screen size was 25",
but some 32" to 37" CRTs are being run up to 32 KV.

Proof? See
http://www.sanyo.com/industrial/components/transformers_home.html