RE: Asteroids - VSM woes

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 14:23:28 EDT

> These were all due to bad RAMs that had all passed the RAM test.

Well, I've now tried replacing all the RAM chips with tested good ones
(both program and vector RAM) but it made no difference. Still, I at least
know the RAM is fine now. :-)

Given the relevant programming skills and Asteroids hardware knowledge,
would it be possible to knock up a special test EPROM for, say, Asteroids
that not only thoroughly tests the RAM and ROM, but maybe also other
components on the board?

I should have also said that I know the VSM is causing the constant resets
as I clipped pin 1 of the LS42 at L6 (so isolating the VSM) and the game
then plays fine (but obviously blind!).

Phil