Re: Another reason to build an X/Y monitor

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 13:48:23 EDT

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 07:45:44 -0500, "Mark Shostak" <shostak@augustmail.com>
wrote:

>Nice. Good work Zonn. Let's see it on an Amplifone (in color)!

I started out using a 13" Amplifone, but it quit working. So I took a look at
it and it seemed to be riddled with bad solder joints. I removed/reflowed the
solder and to test it I hooked it up to a working Tempest machine. Which
immediately quit working (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the monitor. It
was just sitting there waiting for me to turn it on one more time so it could
die. ;-)

The HP X/Y is a lot more unforgiving when it comes to displaying vectors!
You're endpoints can be all over the place with the Amplifone and you wouldn't
notice it, but the HP really shows any defects.

The color DACs and Z-blanking stuff is all in place so it's more a matter of
getting the pincushion stuff working (the 13" Amplifone requires pincushion
correction, unlike it's big brothers.)

I fixed the Tempest problem (something to do with the regulator board since I
replaced it and everything works again), but for superstitious reasons, I've
been afraid to test the Amplifone. :-)

-Zonn