OK, gotta burn new Space Wars ROMs...

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_sisna.com>
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 00:33:45 EDT

I messed up and broke a leg while socketing a Space Wars board. Rather than
hacking the PROM, I'd rather just replace with an EPROM. As I recall, there
are 3 different ways to strap these puppies and only 1 of the PROM types is
EPROM compatible. How is the PCB jumpered and what is the EPROM type that
goes with that jumpering?

Anybody have repair tips for totally dead boards? I am starting with the
ROMs but by the looks of things (surviving being put in upside-down) these
guys are virtually indestructible so the problem is likely elsewhere. What
are the most common failures on the main PCB? Where is the RAM?

Also, anybody have a photo gallery to allow me to ID games based on sound
board? I am pretty sure I've got a dead Solar Quest and Star Hawk but I've
got another one I don't recognize at all...

P.S. I have gotten *REALLY* good at fixing the monitors (4 so far) and have
it pretty much down to a science of part shot-gun and part testing. Can
probably do most monitors in under half an hour now as it is always the same
stuff. Strangely enough, no HV problems of any kind (either old or new
style).

P.P.S. Whoever sent me the HV unit, check back in with me; I am done with it
now!