Re: A bad day in My arcade (V2000 help)

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 13:02:12 EDT

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Mark E Davidson wrote:

>Like I said before.. There is a picture there. (on the scope) so I know
>the board is putting out

'Picture' is not quite a technical term. What you have is x/y deflection
that matches expected output. You've verified that you have X/Y deflection
comming from the board -- that's it. There's a third componant needed to
make a complete picture: Intensity, which provides both relative shadeing of
images and blanking of non-image related movements.

(Now, how's THAT for a load of techno-bable :-) Seriously -- defineing your
problem is half the battle.[1]

> Would the loss of Z on the game board leave no monitor picture?

Sure. Z is intensity. If Z=0, then the picture will always be at intensity 0
-- blank. Since turning up the brightness shows a picutres, that means
deflection is getting there. (OK -- I'm assumeing here that 0 is blank and
+volage is on. It could be inverse logic, etc, but it should be a waveform,
not a steady 0 or +5 or anything)

So, hook up the Z -- if the scope blanks too, there's your problem. If just
the retrace lines go away, then it might be Z in the monitor.

> Is there a way to test the HV diode? (most likely not.. but I have to ask)

Other than using an HV probe -- I would say you did by turning up the
brightness -- was the picture bloomed ?

-Chris

[1] I've got an older house with plaster walls, and needed to rewire an
outlet, preferabley without knocking holes in plaster. Problem was the old
BX metal-jacket cable was stapled to the uprights, no way to get it out
without makeing holes. The old wire was fraying, no way it could be saved.

SO -- define the problem: The old WIRE needed to be replaced. The metal
jacket -- the part that couldn't be removed -- was fine. Use the old wire to
pull a new piece of Romex through the old jacket -- problem solved the
simple way -- No holes, no mess.