Re: Tempest spinner rebuild kits

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 13:49:50 EDT

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:01:00 -0700, "Rosenzweig, Joel B"
<joel.b.rosenzweig@intel.com> wrote:

>I found that the Radio Shack teflon lubricant was perfect for this
>application. However, because I enjoy cranking up the milling machine now
>and then, I decided to add ball bearings to my spinner assembly instead. I
>used two flanged ball bearings to replace the bushings, and it works like a
>champ.
>
>The spin test revealed that my ball bearing solution was really no better
>than the 'teflon in the bushing' solution, but the thought of a ball bearing
>assembly in my Tempest was appealing. Now if I could just get around to
>retrofitting ball bearings into the blasted Defender control stick, that
>would remove a whole lot of slop there, too!

I did something similar, though a bit more cheezy. I went to a surplus store
and found a couple of servo motor with very long 1/4 shafts.

I took these apart and removed all the coils, magnets, encoders, etc. Now I had
nothing but a 1/4 shaft held in place with two precision ball bearings.

I was able to mount the motor to the bottom of the spinner assembly (without
modifications to the assembly) allowing the shaft to take the place of the
original 1/4 shaft. The shaft was cut to the proper height.

I then mounted the spinner and knob to this shaft.

This easily outperforms the original assembly which was in very good condition
before the conversion. (Since none of the original assembly had to be modified,
I could go back to an original spinner.)

I can give the knob a decent spin, and it will still be moving 1 minute later.
Way over kill, but pretty cool.

-Zonn