Re: GO8 - distortion

From: peter jones <highwayman2000_at_mail.ru>
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 01:07:22 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: John Robertson <pinball@telus.net>
To: vectorlist@synthcom.com
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:26:48 -0700
Subject: VECTOR: GO8 - distortion

> Wondering if anyone has suggestions for the cause of an interesting
> distortion on a GO8 I'm restoring (for sale by the way). On my test fixture
> it shows insufficient positive deflection on both the X and Y axis. In
> other words the picture refuses to go more than 3/4 of the way up the X or
> Y axis and the image squishes as it reaches this boundary.
>
> Voltages look good. All are within 5%...
>
> Monitor does not appear to overheat, nor are the center-voltages of the
> yoke (with no X/Y inputs) are within 0.5V of 0.0VDC. Close enough I think.
> runs for an hour with no ill effects, but there is a bit of flicker on the
> positive edges of the X & Y boundaries if the controls are set to slight
> overdrive.
>
> Tried a second IC and exact same results.
>
> Caps are all good - at least they seem good, have checked and replaced
> usual suspects.
>
> I'm trying to get this sucker running so I can test some GO8 HV cages I
> have sitting on a shelf.
>
> John :-#(#

maybe it's not getting enough current for full deflection,
that would cause a volt drop at maximum deflection you could detect using a
scope.

if that is the case then maybe something just isnt passing the current it
should.
of course energy has to go somewhere, so if that is the case then something
will be getting pretty hot!!!

sounds like a fun one! :-(