Re: Schematic Scans available for Battlezone Cabaret and Lunar Lander Upright

From: Commander Dave <cmdr-dave_at_spamcop.net>
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 17:05:44 EDT

Hi Jon,

Here is how it went...

I called a bigger copy shop and they wanted $5 per side and had at least a 3
day wait. I couldn't believe it! Now, I was thinking it would cost around
$15 total, and would have gladly paid it, but with 10 sheets, that is $50!
<argh!>

So going down through the yellow pages on the Internet, I somehow decided to
call a certain smaller company called Datatek. The guy answered the phone
and I described what I wanted. He was very friendly and said it would be
about $5.00. "Is that per side?" I asked... no, that was PER DISK!
I couldn't believe it, so I grabbed the schematics of the BZ cabaret and
grabbed the Lunar Lander schematics to boot.

I got down there, carried my own Zip disk (100MB). The guy wasn't there (at
lunch), but he left the info for the girl who could do it for me. She took
the schematics, scanned them and put it on the disk ALL while I waited! Took
about 10 minutes (they were a little busy). When she wrote the ticket, she
wrote it for $5.00, but since I didn't tell the original guy about the
extra's I insisted she add in that cost also. I could have paid $5, but
insisted on paying for the extra's as they were saving me some big bucks...
and I wanted to show my appreciation (never hurts to grease the wheels a
little - especially for the smaller businesses).

The only flaw is that she scanned them in at 200 dpi instead of 400 dpi
which I asked for earlier (I was going to shrink them myself for posting).
But the scans seemed to turn out well anyway, so I just went with it. I did
not ask if they could do color, but I am thinking the answer would be no...
just have that feeling. I *WILL* ask next time, however!

I wish I could get a hold of more full sheet schematics that are needed. I
only have a few, and most are done already. Backdoor sheets would also be
great to do this way, but alas, I only have one or two, and I already done
the BZC backdoor sheet on my own.

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope to do more of the "big" scanning in the
future. It is MUCH easier than doing it myself! Of course, as with anything,
YMMV with this company. I just had a good experience! :-)

Regards,
-Commander Dave