Re: TECH: Battlezone G05-805 monitor question

From: Commander Dave <cmdr-dave_at_spamcop.net>
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 01:30:26 EDT

Thanks Roger, at least the orientation is verified.

On question 2, I asked it the H1809 could be replaced with an H1812. I put the old H1809 back in and the screen looks great (and the right size) for a few minutes until it warms up. After the screen expands, the cold spray puts it back right. Since the H1812 doesn't even get close, it may be that the H1812 cannot be used as a substitute. I have the spec sheet on the H1812, but can't find one for the H1809 so there is no way to verify.

Another observation is that the screen slightly pulses, or perhaps some of the lines drawn (especially in test mode) wiggle ever so slightly. I don't know if this is the same problem or separate.

Anyone got a NOS H1809 they would like to sell me?

Thanks,
-Commander Dave
  <<<much snipping occurred below>>>

  to get a sanity check:

  1: When installing the HV diode (H1809/H1812), there is a stripe on one end.
  Does that stripe go toward the transformer or toward the cap that goes in
  the tube? On the schematics it has a + side marked toward the tube. I think
  I know, but just want to hear it from one of you guys. I don't feel like
  blowing another one up.

  Stripe goes towards the CRT. If it is backwards it isn't going to hurt anything, there just won't be a picture and the high voltage will be negative instead of positive.

2. I am still looking for verification that swapping an H1812 for a H1809
will work at all. If not, that might explain why things aren't working out.