Re: Question on ELMINATOR SOUND CARD with NO AUDIO Output and X/Y Output.....

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 17:30:33 EDT

> Seriously, though I have a Question, on the Good Old SEGA G80
> Hardware in particular the Eliminator Boardset

[snip]

> Initially I hook up the AUDIO Wiring as per the Schematic, noting that
> there are Only 2
> Connections a White Wire and a Silver Bare Wire, so I presume that the
White
> Wire
> goes to PIN 4 or 1 I forger, but basically Not the GND PIN of the Audio
Out
> on this Sound Board,
> but the Other PIN then Connect the Silver (Bare) Wire the the GND PIN.

I have no idea about pin numbers; Sega didn't really do a good job with
labeling the board pins or connector pins or keying the connectors...my FAQ
covers the correct hookup for these. All I know is for 4-pin sound
connectors, ground/shiled wires go nearest the card cage.

> Anyway I feed this through a 10K POT then into the AUDIO IN of the G-80
> POWER SUPPLY.
> Also and as per the Schematic I wired up a 330 Ohm Resistor on Leg 3 of
the
> 10K Pot and ran
> this back to GND (I hope that this is Correct ???)

One end of resistor goes to leg 3 of 10k pot...the other end goes to the
shielding/gnd

> Now I finally power it all up and all I hear is a STATIC (White Noise)
> Sound which starts up, then
> dies off within 5 seconds, then starts up again and stays up and Staticy
the
> entire time that I have the
> Power On. Also volume will Adjust O.K. but again I only hear STATIC all
the
> time.

Does not sound good, something is wrong; probably not the sound board,
though. More likely the CPU or XY pair are causing a problem. Make sure
the voltages are all good.

> Press RESET on the CPU BOARD (Mind you still playing Blind as I have no
> ELECTROHOME MONITOR)
> after several seconds the Led will Blink once then remain off the entire
> time that the Cage is plugged in.

This is regular behavior for test mode, though seeing the picture would
help...

> So Still No Autio and the question I have then, is What is the Proper
Hook
> Up from this
> MEATBALL (ELIMINATOR) Sound Card to the G-80 Power Supply Audio In
> (Pin 1 = ??? / Pin 4 = ???)

This should be covered in my Sega XY FAQ:

http://www.enteract.com/~jenison/mars/faq/SegaXY.FAQ

> Also where should the 10K Pot be in this Arrangement ???

Sounds like you have it correct.

> Again I believe my hook up is Correct but wanted to double check.
>

> Finally and this is regarding the X/Y Output, on this Boardset, as I
would
> like to Test this Board,
> prior to hooking it up to my 19K610x Wells Gardner Color Vector Monitor.
> Also I do have a Scope as well
> as a Small 4 Inch by 4 Inch Black and White Vector Monitor (basically a
> Scope Monitor minus the Scope Electronics)
> so wanted to know if I can just Hook up the X OUT to X INPUT on this
Monitor
> then Hook up the Y OUT to Y INPUT
> and of course have GND Hooked Up also ???
>
> In addition and since there is No Z OUTPUT, on the G-80 BOARDSETS, I
> presume that I can leave this Disconnected
> with no trouble ???

I haven't ever hooked up a Sega XY set to a WG6100, but I would suspect the
necessary info would be in this document:

http://www.spies.com/arcade/conversion/SegaToAtariXYConv

--
Mark Jenison