Re: Question on ELMINATOR SOUND CARD with NO AUDIO Output and X/Y Output.....

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 16:48:47 EDT

> I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, but what, especially
> and even with other Boards (X/Y) REMOVED and only the CPU, ROM and SOUND
> Board in the CAGE I still get the same (White Noise) and no audio.
>
> Also would like to get you input on replacing Electrolytic Caps, if
> I recall correctly as long as the Voltage and uF are identical of greater
> you can Sub one cap for another ??? I.E. Replace a 10uF 25Volt with a
> 22uF 35Volt <- does that sound right ???

No, but I'm not an EE. :-). I think the rule is same uF, but higher voltage
is ok.

> Finally and upon looking at the ROM BOARD itself, It only contains 14
ROMS
> which I believe is Normal for ELIMINATOR from U1 to U15 or something like
> that
> however I noted that on this Same ROM Board U29 Socket has a DM74LS245N
> Plugged
> into this Socket, should this part be there ???

Yes, that's correct.

> Just wondering as the
> Schematics
> make no mention of such a part on the ROM BOARD.

If you are still getting white noise, normally I would still suspect the CPU
board, or voltages to the boardset. Are you sure it's white noise, and not
just loud "nothing"? At this point, I'd swap around known good working
parts, but most people don't have this luxury :-). From where you're at
now, I would start using a logic probe, but without a custom extender card,
it's very difficult to do any probing of boards in the cage. I've heard of
people removing the back bus from the cage and setting the cards up so they
can access them; you may want to try that at this point.

--
Mark Jenison