Asteroids GO5 help

From: Ron <MrArcade_at_woh.rr.com>
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 15:09:23 EDT

This is my first attempt at vector repair. Before I owned the machine it
lost video. The owner took it to a retired tv repair guy. He replaced 2
transistors, 1 rectifier and 1 fuse. This was written on a piece of paper.
Unfortunately he did not note the locations of the parts. I am assuming he
replaced f102 because that is what still blows.

When I got it, f102 was blown, spot killer is off, of course there is no 40v
going to the EHT.

I have the schematics, and have watched the Randy Fromm xy repair video.

Here is what I have done. After blowing f102 again, I removed it, unplugged
P500 from the deflection board, and powered up. I checked for dc across
pins 6 and 7 and got 40.3v. F102 does not blow with P500 unplugged. Does
this mean the problem is in the EHT cage?

I am not an electronics wiz....and I know that sometimes circuits don't
react the same when there is no load etc.

I am also unsure of discharging the tube. I have read that you need to use
resistors to insure you won't damage something in the EHT cage. Is this
correct?

Thanks for any and all advice,

Ron