Re: Re[2]: 2N6259's

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 14:14:02 EDT

I've just run the GO8 monitor with the original 2N6259's for about four
hours. Temperature on the case is 66C for a cross-hatch pattern that fills
roughly 90% of the screen. A simple "+" pattern runs closer to 40C. Now on
to other GO8 boards & HV cages...I have a pile.

In researching the driver transistors it appears to me that either the
MJ15024 (250Vceo) or the MJ15022 (200Vceo) will sub quite nicely for the
2N6259. They have the same gain, same current rating, same wattage rating
(250W). The only info I don't have for the 2N6259 is the maximum speed when
used in a switching application. For the MJ15022/4 it is 5Mhz.

I do recommend that the ALL the connectors to the output transistors be
carefully examined with the suggestion that small jumpers might be a good
idea, or using the DOW #4 Electrical grease. I also RECOMMEND that the
transistors be soldered to the sockets - I moved the wires from the socket
directly to the Base and Emitter pins and soldered them on. This should
remove contact resistance as a contributing factor to failure on the GO8's

I have been informed that running the monitor without the yoke might not be
such a good idea for the GO8 monitor (it is OK I think for the Wells
Gardner), so I am going to experiment with a simple load - a pair of 11watt
light bulbs (115V) in place of the yoke. These should allow a visual
indication of problems, and yet be self current limiting - the brighter
they get the higher their resistance - this should reduce the risk of
burning out driver transistors during test, yet allow the feedback to work
correctly.

John :-#)#