FS: Dedicated Major Havoc marquees

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 12:58:14 EDT

After a 15 month delay, I've finally gone to press today with some
dedicated Major Havoc marquees. Roy Kaplan was kind enough to redraw the
original artwork and match it up against a scan of an original DMH
marquee. Since the market for these marquees is, shall we say rather
'limited', I've opted again to have some Duratrans made, rather than
screen-printed plexi material as the original was.

Here is a sample jpg of the marquee:
http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/atari/mh_marquee.jpg

These are exactly the same size as the original marquees. They are
really nice continuous tone prints that are meant to be sandwiched
between two pieces of glass and then backlit. Basically, the same things
you see in a light box at the shopping mall or a point-of-purchase
display at McDonalds. The downside is they do not have an infinite
lifespan. I was quoted a two-year period of constant backlighting before
the colors would begin to fade. But, even if you kept the game turned on
and marquee lit for two hours a day, every day, it would not begin to
fade for 24 years. Not too bad, especially if you’ve ever seen a Ms. Pac
marquee (or an original Major Havoc marquee that is faded)… Oh, and
direct exposure to sunlight is bad for it as well.

This is the same material and process I used for the War of the Worlds
marquees printed last year. If you overlooked those, you can read all
about the specifics here:

http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/cine/wotw_marquee.html

As I mentioned, these are continuous tone so they look just like they
were silk-screened with spot colors – there is no pixelation at all. The
printer is charging me on a per-foot basis, and will quote me a better
price if I run a larger area at the same time. Currently the price is
about $25 to $30 for each marquee. That price does not include exact
trimming I'll see what the additional cost will be on trimming, but it
may be cheaper to do it yourself.

Since printing duratrans is relatively affordable and allows for very
small runs to be made with little or no setup charges, I will be making
just enough for those who are interested. I'm not going to maintain an
inventory on them, so if you are interested, let me know and I'll put
you on the list. I'm hoping to have the final run by the middle of next
week.

tom