Amplifone Trouble

From: Dave Langley <robotron_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 16:01:13 EDT

Hi ...

I powered up my Star Wars cockpit last night only for the Amplifone to
fail. :o(

This is What happened:

Powered up ... after about 5 seconds of deflection chatter the monitor went
quiet. No picture came on after the normal 10 seconds or so warm up time.

After investigating the monitor I found F3 had blown.

Replaced F3.

Powered game up. Now I'm getting deflection chatter, the fuse does not
blow again but still no picture. Eventually I get a dim glow at the bottom
of the tube, like the gun is firing below the display area and I'm getting
reflected light. There is no movement of this.

I scoped the boards using XY mode and all was fine, though I did not test
the Z (yet).

I've measured the HV @ 19.5Kv which is fine.

When you power the game up the deflection board's spot killer comes on
briefly and then goes off as normal and when you shut it down it comes on
again as the HV drains away.

For what it's worth this game only has about 6 hours on it since a wintron
was installed and previous to my fixing it up it had been disused for 12+
years. I guess it's only to be expected when components have been this
long without power. The boards have been recapped and all the jumpers
replaced with solid core wire and new deflection transistors were fitted.

So since I have HV I'm assuming that it's likely to be a deflection board
problem? Any hints where I should look?

Also does anyone have a working or otherwise deflection board that they'd
sell/trade me? I'd quite like a spare at some point regardless of when I
fix this.

Dave Langley
www.robotron-2084.co.uk