Re: Space Duel Problems - Anyone know the "Next Step"?

From: Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. <vector_at_hawkmountain.net>
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 23:39:28 EST

My big question is what would kill these ?

I too have a Space Duel that the AVG died in... I replaced it, probably
haven't put more than 5-6 hours of use on it, and it is dead again, and
I'm again suspecting the AVG.

One thing I plan to do (my one theory) is that due to not so hot connections
on the edge connector to the mainboard (which I have to redo... they are
not very tight) causes the +5V and GND returns resistance to rise, causing
the AR to kick up the voltage when it really hadn't dropped, and overpowering
the logic board, and maybe the AVG is particularly sensitive to that....

I'm not happy that I'm down another AVG chip.... arg !

Is this the most likely culprit ?

-- Curt

>Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 23:09:59 -0500
>From: Al Warner <alsarcade@comcast.net>
>Subject: Re: VECTOR: Space Duel Problems - Anyone know the "Next Step"?
>To: vectorlist@synthcom.com
>
>Incidental note...
>
>The machine died after running for an hour. I have ordered one of
>Clay's replacement boards.
>
>Happy Holidays everyone!
>
>Al
>
>Al Warner wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everyone!
>>
>> Well, that was it, the AVG (137179) was bad. I swapped the AVG between
>> my boards and got similar results.
>>
>> I went looking for a new one on the net and found out just how valuable
>> these are. I did see that Clay has a replacement for $35.00 (+
>> Shipping), but he's in the Christmas rush for shipping. I borrowed one
>> from a dead Star Wars set I've been saving and the game came right up!
>> The monitor has a nice picture too!
>>
>> Seeing how valuable they are, does anyone have a couple of spares they
>> would sell me at a decent price?
>>
>> Thanks for the pointers!
>>
>> -Al-
>>
>> someotherguy wrote:
>> >
>> > I have no idea what would cause that particular symptom...but I can give
you
>> > a suggestion on the other "more dead" board. Try replacing the AVG chip
>> > with a known good one. Every Space Duel, Gravitar, and Black Widow PCB
I've