Re: Significantly drop G2/brightness (4600 raster hack)?

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 01:38:01 EST

Gregg Woodcock wrote:

>OK, here is a very interesting udpate.
>By putting increased resistance, I was able to drop the previously lowest
>(stock/non-modified) G2 of 375V to about 200V with not a bit of difference
>in brightness. Well I figured I'd show the macine who was boss so I shorted
>the G2 pin to ground (0V). I got a picture that was about half as bright as
>it should have been to be perfect. What is up with THAT? I got roughly the
>same brightness with it ungrounded. I am going to use the rejuvenator to
>check for G2 short in the tube but as I recall, I backed this one up to
>another machine that was working fine and it proved without a doubt that the
>tube was fine (95% sure about that). I must have some kind of a ground
>problem but I just don't see how/where...

If running G2 grounded still gives a fairly bright picture you have
either too high high voltage or not enough cathode to grid 1 bias.

Since dropping G2 to ground DOES get the brightness low enough you might
just add a second resistor from G2 to ground to whatever resistance you
already have from G2 to the screen pot so the effective voltage range of
the pot is where the CRT needs it. It's not going to hurt anything to
run G2 near ground, but make sure the high voltage isn't excessive.