Sega XY controls boards

From: Mark E Davidson <mark_at_basementarcade.com>
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 01:19:58 EST

Here is another one. Space Fury running quietly off to the side as Im
working on other game problems. That's when I hear the strange sound of
the High voltage kicking in and out (aka, Segas version of the spot
killer). Vectors are jumping all over the screen (when there is enough
to turn on the HV on the G08. Hooking up the scope proved that the
monitor was fine, and swapping board around with another machine
narrowed it down to a bad XY controller board. This board also has the
video ram on it as well. Is there a possibility at a certain ram might
go bad to produce the described screen action? Or am I thinking the
wrong way?
    The reason Im stuck on the 2114L ram right now is I had one go bad
in Eliminator. The result was minor.. On 2 screens I was getting jumbled
vectors on some text, and some for the eliminator explosion explosion
screen too. Is is possible that I lost more then one ram giving me not
enough screen to run test mode? Is there anyway to test 2114L ram?