Re: Re[2]: Tempest boards playing blind (and worse)...help!

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 23:32:55 EST

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:38:31 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>Copper tape ? Like the stuff they use inside laptops/etc ?
>
>Will that really stay firmly attached to the PCB ?

        It depends on the kind you get. The stuff inside a laptop often
doesn't have that strong an adhesive on it; you _can_ get (or at least you
used to could get) copper tape with a very aggressive adhesive on the back
side.

        Alternatively, you could try cementing a strip of it in place with
something stronger, such as a thin layer of epoxy. (I wouldn't advise
using Super-glue, though -- believe it or not, cyanoacrylate adhesives
generally don't have very good shear (sideways force) strength, and shear
force is what you'll be applying to that piece of tape as it goes in and
out of the edge connector body; sooner or later it'll break loose.)

        On the other hand, if you make this repair, you should probably be
careful about inserting and removing this connector any more than
absolutely necessary anyway. :)
"For the children" - the phrase politicians use to justify a course of action
so irrational it cannot be justified in any other way.