Re: Looking for a tube socket for Gravitar

From: Noel Johnson <nej_at_airmail.net>
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 08:56:52 EST

Sorry for the confusion everyone, I just checked my email for the first
time since I posted. What I meant by "raster style base cap", was the
plastic cap only. A tube rebuilder told me that this part is called a
"base cap" which makes sense, as it's the cap on the base of the picture
tube. When I say "raster style" I am referring to base caps
similar/identical to those used on the common arcade raster monitors
such as Electrohome GO7, WG4900, etc. As it turns out most TV's from
the 80's, and even 90's used this style cap as well from my experience
(I have been doing alot of tube swapping lately to freshen up raster
monitors with significant phosphur burn). What I'm suggesting as one
method to repair Dave's problem is to gently pry his original base cap
off to reveal the bare pins on the tube. (Yes they are there). Then
replace the cap with a "raster style" cap. Next replace the socket on
the neckboard using one compatible with the new base cap.

Just an idea, as it might be better to just repair/replace the original
socket with the right one for the 19VLUP22 tube.

Noel