Ampliphone Faq "history", a sad note

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 02:08:02 EST

     While I commented on Chris' HV problem, I figured I'd share something
Amplifone related.
     I recently learned that Jack Hammond (former Amplifone employee) died on
December 29th at the age of 88. I spoke with his son about 4 days ago.
     If you didn't know, Jack had provided a TON (and I mean almost
literally, right Tom??) of Amplifone notebooks, tech journals, manuals, and
other books that he salvaged from the Amplifone factory. His son says that he
has some more books to send me (though not nearly as many as before). I will
let the list know when I get them, and what all is there. I think Tom might
have a list of what Jack has allready provided if anybody on the list needs
anything.
     Jack gave me the Amplifone info (in my Amplifone Faq) about Atari buying
them out, and also about the trash can fire in the warehouse. Jack's account
of the Atari buyout seems to be right on, but there are questions about the
warehouse fire. I only hope my mind works as well as his if I live to be over
80, even though the warehouse fire might be Atari "lore" according to some
knowledgeable Atari people.
     If anybody has any other info on this, PLEASE let me know. Jed's
thoughts are in the faq, (following the "History" section), he is one person
who doubts Jack's story.
     However, a few others seem to recall something of the fire. One person
who does is Frank Ballouz, "Because it was another damn delay in getting us
monitors..."

     If anybody has anything on this, please e-mail me. It would be nice to
actually find out what happened....You can e-mail me, rather than load the
list with this stuff, I really don't know if anyone is actually interested.

Thanks, and sorry to ramble,
MK