RE: Star Wars Yoke Gear

From: Fish, David <David.Fish_at_axcelis.com>
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 08:02:39 EST

> > Browsing through the manual, I discover that the two different 'small
> > gears' are thus:
> >
> > Tilt Gear (up and down) - 14-tooth Spur Gear (Atari Part # 040249-01)
> > Pan Gear (left & right) - 28-tooth Spur Gear (Atari Part # 178101-003)
> >
> > McMaster-Carr doesn't have a suitable replacement but Berg certainly
> > does :) (www.wmberg.com) However, we now get into pressure angles, pitch
> > and pitch diameters, hub, no hub, etc. Not my forte. Here are the two
> > that look most promising (and likely the same ones that can be found in
> > the rebuild kit on eBay).
> >
> > 14 tooth, 24 Pitch, 1/4" face aluminum spur gear - Berg Part no.
> > P24A66-14
> > 28 tooth, 24 pitch, 3/16" face delrin spur gear - Berg Part no. F24D5-28
> >

>the 14 tooth has since been confirmed as a superior replacement for the
original.
>let us know how well the large one works if you get them.

I recently replaced the small 14-tooth spur gear with the Berg part. Yes it
does
fit, pertty nicely too, but not perfectly. Even after adjusting the 'tooth
interface
depth' between the large and small gear, the fit felt tight when I moved the
pitch
control. I covered the gears with some lithium based grease but it still
didn't
have the feel of the original gear. I'm hoping that it will wear-in over
time and
feel smoother. I still would recommend it tho'.

Dave