Amplifone red hv failure question

From: Dave Knight <dax_at_xmission.com>
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 18:40:17 EST

I'm wondering when a red hv coil fails in the Amplifone if it also takes out other
components and if so which ones?

I have an apparently dead board here but I noticed that one 50 ohm 5 watt resistor
was bad ( infinite) and also one regulator. I replaced them but on power up it failed
the smoke test. A wisp of smoke came from the replaced regulator ( as far as I
could tell) which was also very hot. I'm guessing the short in the hv coil takes out
the regulator?
I can find nothing wrong on the rest of the board

Sorry if this seems very simple to some or has already been covered many times.
 Wintron, here I come!

-Dave